Thursday, September 18, 2014

Apple Season

I signed up for the Apple Dumpling Pouch Swap last month after I had so much fun participating in the Schnitzel and Book Mini Quilt Swap this summer.  I really enjoy making stuff for other like-minded, crafty quilters.  Of course there is the added bonus of getting some secret crafty goodness back in return!

 

The rules for the apple dumpling swap were to make an apple themed dumpling pouch and fill it with apple goodies.  Michele Patterns provides a wonderful pattern and tutorial for the cute dumpling pouch.  As I was pulling out my fabrics, I was inspired by the aqua and red combination and decided to just run with it. 


My first plan was to do a mini granny square, but even at 4 inches square, it was still slightly too big to fit completely on the dumpling pouch side (those pouches are pretty small!) so I turned it into a mini pincushion instead.  I went back to the cutting mat and decided to continue on my Dresden plate kick and made a tiny Dresden plate for the dumpling pouch instead. 


Seriously people, these mini dresdens are ridiculously cute (pattern from Westwood Acres fabric), are they not?  I attached it to some lightly quilted Essex yarn died linen in indigo.  I'll admit it was hard to give this dumpling away!

 
I also wanted to make my partner a little something else when I came across this fabric basket tutorial by Ayumi of Pink Penguin fame.


But I couldn't stop there.  I have had the book, Heather Ross Prints, for quite some time.  Knowing that my partner was a Heather Ross fan, I made her some notepads using the instructions from the book.  People, these notepads were so easy and satisfying to make.  I think everyone in my life will get one at some point. 


My partner, Courtney, received her basket of apples yesterday and sent the nicest thank you note.  I really enjoyed creating this package; it was a great way to try some new things I've been wanting to check off my to-make list for quite some time.  Of course I already have plans for more mini dresdens. 






2 comments:

  1. LOVE the miniature Dresden Plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors you used and the Dresden plate. Your swap partner was so lucky to get such a great prize! Love the basket.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers - thanks for leaving a comment!